Saturday, October 9, 2010

Breakfast Burritos/Breakfast Tacos (How to make your own Sonic Jr. Breakfast Burrito's): Call them what you want, they are fast, cheap and easy. Simply cook the parts, combine and assemble. Load them up into the freezer voila, a home cooked breakfast a the drop of a hat, just minutes away in the microwave.

It's really easy, I made a batch of 60 breakfast burritos, but I really had enough mix to make about 100 of them, I just ran out of tortilla's. Total cost with everything ran me just under 18 dollars, so for the 60 pieces I made, they ran about 30 cents a piece. I bagged them up 2 o a baggie, so in the end, it's breakfast for 60 cents.

Ingredients:


  • 2 to 3 pounds of breakfast sausage (I bought 2 tubes of mild)
  • 2.5 dozen eggs
  • 2 pounds of hashbrowns
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes
  • 60-100 tortilla's
  • salsa to top it if desired
Here's how:

Step 1: Brown the breakfast sausage. I used my roaster since my oven was already hot from cooking dinner. Breakfast sausage can get kind of greasy, so I drained it and rinsed well under hot water to degrease it.

Breakfast Sausage Cooked In RoasterStep 2: While the sausage is cooking you need to cook the scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. For the eggs I just cooked them in a skillet and stirred and chopped feverishly. For the hashbrowns I just dumped them on 2 cookie sheets and baked them on the rack under the sausage. I didn't get pics of this, but use your imagination... I am sure you have seen scrambled eggs before, LOL.

Step 3: Once the sausage is cooked and drained, dump your eggs, hashbrowns and if so desired diced tomatoes on top.

Other toppings you could add in:

  • Green Peppers
  • Red Peppers
  • Celery
  • Onions
  • Mushrooms
  • You name it!

Breakfast Burrito FillingStep 4: Mix it up.

Breakfast Burrito Egg and Sausage MixStep 5: Assemble! I used an ice cream scooper for consistent portion sizes. These are pretty small breakfast tacos/breakfast burritos, so I sacked them up two to a baggie.

assembling bulk cooking breakfast burritosStep 6: Voila! A stack of 30 baggies.

bulk breakfast burritos ready for freezer
As mentioned, with the ingredients, I could have made 100 if I had more tortillas, so we at a couple meals of breakfast burgers to use it up in the meantime. YUMMY. These really remind me of the Jr. Breakfast Burrito's at Sonic, except theirs are a buck and mine are 30 cents. Take that Sonic!

No comments:

Post a Comment