Scallops & Shrimp with yellow rice
1 lg onion, chopped
1clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup long grain rice uncooked
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1/2 lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 lb. bay scallops
1/4 tsp salt
In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add rice and turmeric, stir to coat. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 min. or until rice is tender. Stir in remaining ingred. and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Grilled Chicken with barley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, oregano and basil. Pour 2 tablespoons marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender. In a small nonstick skillet, saute carrot and red pepper in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add onions and pepper; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until tender. Stir vegetables and reserved marinade into cooked barley.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve with barley mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
- Spicy Sausage and Penne
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the vegetables during the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, mustard and pepper flakes; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet; stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta and vegetables; stir into the pan. Add cheese and reserved sausage; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
- Makeover Nacho Beef Bake
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces baked nacho tortilla chips (about 2 cups), crushed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, water and taco seasoning; mash slightly. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through; set aside.
- Unroll crescent dough and press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; seal seams and perforations. Spoon beef mixture over dough. Spread sour cream over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese and chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce and tomatoes. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
- Mango Chicken with Plum Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas, trimmed
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound finely chopped cooked chicken breast (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup plum sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in
- broth and teriyaki sauce until smooth. Cook and stir until
- thickened. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the snow peas, carrots, zucchini,
- onion, pepper and water chestnuts in oil until crisp-tender. Add the
- chicken, mangoes and broth mixture; heat through. Stir in plumsauce. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/2 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg substitute, vanilla and cinnamon. Fold in bread cubes and apple.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped topping and caramel topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.